Sunday, October 29, 2017

Book 14, Chapter 6: Marine Day (July 17, 2017)

Hello all!

How awesome is summer! Japan never seems to amaze me. With the shop workers watering the sidewalks and all of the grandmas on their mopeds, summer is in full swing and people seem to be hitting the beach whenever they have a spare minute. The heat is up and the BBQing is real. This past week was full, that's for sure. 

On Monday we got new furniture for the apartment which was great! We had lots of help to put it all together quickly. Immediately following that we had a companion exchange with elders from the area south of us called Gobo which translates to "honorable monk"...there are many shrines in Gobo. I was with Elder Yardley in the blazing heat. We walked outside Tuesday morning and were slapped in the face with very hot, very high humidity. I may or may not have gotten some good rashes on my ankles as a result of the heat and sweat 💦 

Wednesday was half normal day and half traveling to interviews and then spending the night in Sakai. Interviews were way good. It was the first one I ever had with President Smoot. It was only 15 minutes long but I still felt that I was taught by the Spirit in that small amount of time. Spiritual strengthening is as important as physical strengthening and we should all be sure we get the nourishment that we need. 

The next day, Thursday, was another companion exchange. I was in Sakai with Elder East. It is more city than Wakayama which was fun. The Japanese people are probably surprised to see foreigners walking around downtown in their cities. But I'm sure it must be very amusing to see one, who is large, riding a bike that is meant for a child on their streets. This was the case for me on Thursday because I was borrowing Elder Kurogi's bike. Yes, it was very amusing...for everyone else 🤣 But, while I was there, we found four new investigators and gave a solid church tour+Restoration lesson. Way fun!

Friday was district meeting. I like district meeting. Always good. We focused on commitments. As missionaries, we should be honest about our purpose. No sneaky sales approaches from this guy. I'm just here to love and serve the people. And I do so with my fellow brothers (elders) and sisters in and out of my mission. But when I help other people I hope they will change their lives. Which is why, as a representative of Jesus Christ, I ask them if they will change their lives. I provide an opportunity for them to change. Otherwise they wouldn't. 

After district meeting I went to Sennan with Elders Sepos and Dayley for another companion exchange. We tried to make contact with a couple of their referrals. One wasn't home, but the other one was so we got to talk to him. Apparently he is a blind masseuse! He finds joy in life through helping people relax. I thought that was pretty cool! 

Upon returning to my area on Saturday we went to Wakayama Port for a battleship tour. The reason we went was because the Gobo Elders came with two of their investigators and wanted us to join them. It was very cool! It was built in 1985 but still looks way good. It was retired from duty in April 2016 and is now used to train fresh shipmen. 

Sunday was awesome! Spent four hours doing home teaching with one of our members. I haven't spent that much time in a car in ages! 

Today we cleaned the apartment and shopped. We tried to find a place to eat but abandoned that thought because everywhere is more expensive due to today being Marine Day.

Anyways, that is what's up. Keep fighting the good fight and never give up! And remember, you are loved. またね!


Elder Peacock
A missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Serving in the Japan, Kobe mission, Wakayama area

孔雀長老
末日聖徒イエス・キリスト教会
日本神戸伝道部の宣教師です
和歌山エリア

No comments:

Post a Comment