Monday, August 22, 2016

2016. 8.21 Sapporo, Japan Temple Dedication!

Hello dear family,

I can't believe that today is the beginning of my seventh transfer out here in the Japan, Kobe mission. How the time flies! I remember thinking to myself that the transfer would go by fast...and it did. This past week had its ups and downs. We have really had to help each other out this week, my companion and I. Whatever this new transfer brings will be great, and I'm excited.

To start I will tell you guys about a man that we had actually met at the beginning of the transfer. When we met him he was driving and he pulled up beside us while we were biking. He says that he wants us to teach him at his house. He also says something about a man named Kent Gilbert, didn't really know what that meant. But he called us earlier in the week and we set up an appointment with him for the next day. He picked us up and took us to his house. From pulling on the handles of his car to stepping into his house you could tell he was pretty well off. He  shows us some pictures, pours us some water, and then whips out his phone and puts the said Kent Gilbert on the phone; at this point I still don't know much about Kent Gilbert. We only got to talk to him for about ten minutes, but I learned that he is a very successful business man and that his Japanese is very, very, very good. It sounded like a native when he picked up the phone. After that we had BBQ on the back deck. It was super good and he and his wife were very nice. We scheduled to meet with him twice a month in his home to meet his friends who want to hear about the gospel so I'm excited for that!

We woke up Tuesday morning and ran to an investigator's farm. She wasn't there for it, but we did some weed whacking for her. After that we ran back and jumped into study. Later on in the week she thanked us by bringing us a watermelon and two cucumbers. How sweet!

One of our friends gave us homemade takoyaki which was super good!

After district meeting on Friday we came home and started to dendo but I was feeling frustrated. I was feeling frustrated with myself. It got to the point that I had to tell my companion I needed a breather. I told him what was going on and he helped. I was still feeling a little frustrated throughout the rest of the day, but it was better. It was just a mix of a few things that were going on at the time. And the thing is that they are all personal, nothing to do with my companion or anyone else, and I assured him that. By the next day I was much better.

There was one man we met while tracting who just had no interest in our message but we still taught him. There were a couple of times when I thought to stop the lesson, but then I remembered something. Right now, as a missionary, I am called to teach the gospel to anyone who will listen in a way that they can fully understand and then either accept or reject the message. As heartbreaking as it is to see someone blatantly reject Jesus Christ it is part of our calling. Our loving Heavenly Father gave us all the ability to choose and act for ourselves. I chose to be here. I chose to be a missionary. I want to teach in a way that the Holy Ghost can testify to those we teach. I want to teach everything fully so that those I teach can fully accept or fully reject the gospel. That is what I want to do.

We had a couple of days where our ward mission leader dendoed with us for a few hours which was great! This member helped us find out that one of our investigators in mentally ill and that we should discontinue our teaching him. We had a very good conversation with a truth-seeker who is even studying the copy of The Book of Mormon that we gave him at work. Member-present lessons are the best!

Yesterday was the Sapporo, Japan temple dedication. We both got our recommends and handkerchiefs before we left so we were prepared. One of our members gave us a ride which was nice. We watched the 12:00 session and it was very good. President Nelson gave the dedicating prayer and Elder Stevenson gave some good words on when he helped pick the property. It was a very spiritual experience and I am glad I could have attended.

Well, if I'm remembering everything then those are the main highlights from the week. Ups and downs, but nothing too detrimental. My companion and I are both pleased with the work we were able to do together this transfer and are very much looking forward to the new transfer. We will probably know by Tuesday at the latest so I will let you all know what happens in my next email home. I'm really enjoying the work out here in the Japan, Kobe mission. The beauty of the people is reflected in the beauty of the land here. I'm privileged to work shoulder-to-shoulder with great men and women out in the field. Keep
praying for me, yeah ;)

Fight the good fight and NEVER GIVE UP! あいしてるよ!

Sincerely,
Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment