Wednesday, April 19, 2017

2017.4.16 From Rough to Refined

What's up guys?

This past week has been quite the adventure. Ups and downs and it went by way fast! The sakura is past its prime so now we are moving on to other flowers that deserve their attention. My companion is awesome, evident by his zone conference training. I learn from him every day. From here I'll give you the full scoop. Maybe even a double scoop. Cone or cup?

I'll start with Monday because there was something funny that happened after I emailed you guys. So after we left downtown Osaka we got back to the church, grabbed our bikes, and started to head home. About ten minutes down the road I hear my companion behind me say something to himself in exclamation. Turns out he didn't have his missionary phone on his person. I called to see if maybe in his bag. Not there. We went back to the church but it wasn't there. We both felt that we knew where is was...in downtown Osaka. At that point we had a decision to make. We knew we weren't going to proselyte because I was sick. We could either go back that night or go back next week on Preparation Day. Well, the right choice was clear even though we didn't want to. We decided to go get the phone. So we went all the way back into the heart of Osaka to get the phone. Luckily, we found it right away in the massage chairs where we were emailing just a few hours previously. I love Japan because if you lose a wallet or phone you can go back to where you thought you lost it and it will be in the hands of the authorities because someone turned it in! So good! Thereupon finding the said device we returned home and I sacked out.

And then the next two days consisted of me sleeping in the apartment and reading The Book of Mormon in Japanese. Yep, leveling up my reading comprehension skills
😉

Had a companion exchange with one of my doki! Doki means same class group. You can use this for school grades, business experience levels, or the MTC. It was cool to see how he has changed since I knew him in the MTC. We talked a lot about how the mission experience has changed us in so many ways. I reflected on how I have developed the skill of planning for investigators. And how to see people with an eternal perspective. There are other things that have changed about me but those are just a couple. And the Lord isn't done with me yet
😆

It has been SUCH NICE WEATHER lately!! I can't believe it! It has been cold for so long that the 20s (Celsius) have been feeling incredibly nice. No jackets, no gloves, no scarves, nothing! Soon sun screen will be needed. Summer, here I come! A year ago now I was in Sumoto with Yamamoto Chōrō. How the time flies!

We had zone conference on Thursday. At zone conference, we have our mission president and his wife come and train us on the vision and mindset of how we need to work here and help the people of Japan. The zone leaders conduct the meetings but the mission president presides. So the morning session was where our mission president, President Welch, led a discussion about our Book of Mormon challenge. We have recently been studying The Book of Mormon to cultivate and strengthen our knowledge and testimony of the principles of faith and repentance and how they are linked together. Welch Kaichō (kaichō means president) directed the discussion towards our new study challenge. Starting this week, we will be studying The Book of Mormon with a focus on the doctrine of Christ. I AM SO STOKED! In the afternoon session, we had the sister trainer leaders give their portion. They talked about finding joy in the work. I gave my training on The Book of Mormon and how we should act towards it. As in our attitude. How we should value it. And then my companion specifically talked about repentance. It was way good and we were able to deliver what we wanted to say. It's interesting where the conversation ends up going because of the Spirit's influence.

I may or may not have had a full cup of chocolate from a chocolate fountain while I was eating with a couple of other elders. It was good...but extremely unhealthy
😊

I took my bike into the shop because on of the wheel spokes broke. This whole week has been without a bike. Lots of walking and money going into trains. It's been good though. I am definitely excited to get my bike back.

On Saturday we walked to the eki (station) and saw a couple of volunteers for a rescue medical group working in Africa. And one of them studies the Bible every day, but he isn't Christian! He said he met the missionaries 20 years ago in southern Osaka and had a lesson with them. We exchanged business cards and he said he would like to meet again. Such a miracle! Can't wait to meet with him.

Sunday was awesome, especially since it was Easter Sunday. There was a big party afterwards where we welcomed three new families that moved in to the Senri ward. So much good food and good people. Then we walked to a member's house to have a meal with them. She cooks everything and it's all American styled stuff. She even had A&W brand root beer. I died! So good! We set up lots of member appointments this week so we are going to work to get them all going strong on dendō
 fire.

There is one thing I want to share with you guys. Two scriptures. Matthew 5:48 and 3 Nephi 12:48. There is one difference between them and I'm sure you will find it. It's not necessarily hiding, it's just something one could miss if one is not paying attention. It has everything to do with Easter. I believe that Jesus Christ died and was resurrected three days later. I believe that He provides a way through death because He first conquered death. Who better to be on your side than our Savior. Get to know Him as I am trying to know Him. He loves
us all so much. Never forget that.

孔雀長老より

No comments:

Post a Comment